Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dragon Age 2: EXCITEMENT.

SO after months of salivation over this game, I finally got it for my birthday (it's my birthday, just by the way). It's delicious and easy on the soul. To entertain myself, I started out on Hard mode. That didn't last long. (I am NOT good at these games. Can you say "tactical fallacy"?)

In another effort to try something different, I went for a Warrior this time. Oddly... I absolutely love it so far, to be honest (no matter what this stupid game guide says about it not being fun). What does upset me is that there's no way I can do the two-handed tree, and let's be honest here, I want the two-handed tree because it is awesome looking. What can I say? I'm vain.

Anyway, let's just say my Hard mode encounter began to end once I hit up the first boss. Heh...

But there's no bloody way I'm going to Casual ANY TIME SOON. I made that mistake in my first DA:O runthrough, and let's just say... I, ah, wasn't able to finish it. I got to the final dungeon, literally the final castle before the final boss, and hit a brick wall. Just... like... that. (Did I say I wasn't good at tactics?)

Anyway, my fem Hawke (I used the default appearance, the one with the badass blood smear/suspiciously red birthmark on her nose) is mostly humorous/witty, with a slight tendency toward niceness (because everyone loves a sarcastic girl with a bit of care somewhere hidden deep down in there, perhaps one in every twenty responses). The best part of that is how she comes up with these outrageous jokes.

I'm not a fan of Aveline. That's good since I'm my party's tank, and also because I like sucking all the money I can out of my enemies before I kill them (which Aveline disapproves of). So she's the only one of my companions not in my party right now.

Speaking of which, Bethany survived the Prologue, obviously (me being a warrior and all), and she's my makeshift healer until I get Anders (which is pretty far off). If/when I replay the game, I'm going for healer mage... Dragon Age hasn't been promising with healer AI in the past (cough, WYNNE). But so far, I'm liking this AI. It's noticeably improved, to the point where I paused to make Bethany use a heal spell, only to find that she was in the middle of doing so at that very moment. It made me very happy, to put it lightly.

I also like Merrill, though I suspect none of my companions do or will. She's funny. And she's my damage mage. Some of the ambient dialogue cracks me up. (Varric: Could you please stop going out in Lowtown at night? Merrill: Why? Nothing ever happens. Varric: I know, and that nothing is costing me a fortune...)

And Varric is my rogue. I genuinely like Varric. And I like Bianca. I think it was pretty well-done character design, he and his smart-assery and his awesome named bow and his aesthetics. He's probably one of my favorite characters in the game so far (I'm not attached to any of them much... Bethany is so... childish...? I like Merrill but I just know she'll cause problems in the future, despite the awesomeness of blood mages. I've heard a lot about the trouble Anders stirs up. And I, well, I'm my own snarky, unhelpful, facetious, sarcastic dramallama.)

I have enough money to go on that expedition to the Deep Roads now, but I'm doing every quest I can in Kirkwall first, even though I'm going to take Bethany instead of Anders (which I'm in the middle of the quest to get) so that we can get out of Kirkwall for a little bit and the templars won't find her and yada yada yada.

Also where are all of the romance options. I don't like Anders so far and he's the only one. I'm serious. Except maybe I should give a bisexual/lesbian Hawke a chance because there are a lot of awesome girl characters. See, that's just not fair to all the fem!Hawkes out there who are at least somewhat heterosexual. If I were interested though, and at this point I might be, I would totally go for Isabela. Hot snarky pirate? We go together perfectly! WHAT WHO SAID THAT

 (Also male Hawke looks like a douche)

Anyway, my romantic complaints aside,  I'm liking the plot so far. Though I have to admit, every mention of the "Hero of Ferelden" makes me jealous of myself (or, rather, me as I was in DA:O). Why can't I be a hero? It'd be so much fun to actually have everyone's bloody respect for once! Pffft! But this "Champion" business sounds real interesting.

Man, why do these games have to end. Stupid Mass Effect 2 and it ending way too bloody soon. And I was good at that one, too! Grumble grumble grrrr angst.

Also, my Uncle Gamlen is a horrible person. I am going to kick him out of the house.

And I have the Black Emporium thing that gave me my dog. His name is Jackal.

This has been a nonsensical, rushed post so that I can get back to my game. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment